Friday, June 10, 2011

COUNTDOWN POST: Brigada Eskwela

Yes, this is a super late post but I'm going to post it anyway. :D



June 7 is a very wonderful and memorable day in my life!



That day, our department head in English department asked us to come and help cleaning the rooms in our campus. I missed my school and classmates and was willing to help so I eagerly came. I managed to arrive there ahead of time, perhaps thirty minutes ahead. I recognized only one of my classmates waiting under the tree near the court. (It was often our automatic waiting zone.) I came and sat with her while waiting for our other classmates to come.

One by one, my other classmates arrived; there were loud greetings and giggles heard among us due to the long period we weren't able to see each other. Someone tapped another's back, some teased a friend with new look, while others talk about what happened to them during the grand vacation.

Not everyone of my classmates believes in God (or a real God) but I do love them very much. In fact, they are the only ones I really put my heart into. I had good friends back then in my high school days, but this class is different for me. It's like everyone of them could be a close friend. Everyone cares for each other. That was why I felt happy when I saw their smiling faces that day. Of course I'm continuously praying for those who have harden their hearts that the Holy Spirit itself will soften them and their souls will go to Heaven someday.

The Brigada Eskwela, what they call the day's activity, started with an opening program wherein we were appointed, each of us, a room to clean. The groupings each room were rambled, some second year, some third year like us, some fourth year so that we will be able to meet new friends from the department. After all, we, as they say, are a family. We also had an appointed faculty per assigned room who supervised us as we did the cleaning.

After the said program, everyone went to the assigned rooms for them; mine was BPS 209-B. We were expected to bring the materials, but not everyone did so we had a little problem at the start looking for some more. I was able to bring a scotch brite and a bar and our rich friend provided the small rags, so I had mine.

The cleaning then started. I can't remember what I was supposed to be doing that time but our appointed professor asked me to remove the spider webs and dust at the walls and ceiling with a broomstick so my job was changed. Lucky for me, I brought the scotch brite so I was able to scrub the walls as well. It was fun to see the sparkling walls after you scrubbed them (hard).

Later on, I saw my classmates coming to the room one by one. They were asked to help us. I supposed our room was the dirtiest. haha

Lunchtime finally came in but I didn't want to leave my work unfinished. I rested for a while, drank water, ate a cupcake then continued doing my job. My new friend pushed me to take a rest but I insisted. There was a lot more to do I wanted to save time as much as possible. Knowing I couldn't be stopped, my friend decided to help me instead. I was so grateful!

The walls became instantly white and clean. Adhesive tapes of different kinds were removed. The work was amazing! Another two helped me in my scrubbing job (since I was the only one doing them before). One of them was my best friend's friend. I had a nice talk with that person after we cleaned. I thought the conversation would be a little cold and awkward, but it was the opposite. We had a good time together that same day. I met three new sweet friends that time. I felt so glad.

After the activity, our professor said we would have a raffle-free stuffs for those who attended. I didn't expect much. Helping the group and having fun with them was enough for me. But they gave me a full cross stitch set and a free pattern along with it. I was so happy. I wanted to have those stuffs. The set was from our department head. I am planning to do the pattern, though it was a very hard one. I do hope I finish that since I haven't tried making one yet.

That day is very fulfilling for me. My time and  effort didn't go to waste. I was able to help, had fun cleaning and having fellowship, and build new relationships. Speaking of fellowship, while cleaning, someone asked me why she always saw me wearing skirts. I wasn't able to explain it to her properly but I'm praying I would be able to meet her some time and tell her the reason. Please pray for me.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment